An Educational Curriculum for Children and Youth by Bridge Communities
Are you a youth or Scout leader? Are you a pastor and ministries director? Are you a teacher? Are you a parent?
Would you like an interactive outreach program that teaches about homelessness in your local community?
Learn how you can earn 'A Heart for the Homeless' Scout Patch by completing the "What's It Like to Be Homeless?" educational curriculum.
"What's It Like to Be Homeless?" is:
- Easy to use
- Flexible with many group sizes
- Specific to different age levels
- Available free of charge
Children and youth will learn why families are homeless, what the family may experience and what they can do to support homeless families in their community.
The Curriculum includes lesson plans for grades 1 - 12, religious education applications and many additional resources and links that you can use to enhance your experience.
There are three easy ways to access "What's It Like to Be Homeless?":
- Download it now from this website (your name and address are required).
- Request it from your local library. Copies are on the shelf in the Youth Services Department at several DuPage County Illinois public libraries. It can also be requested at any local public library through the interlibrary loan system.
- Call Bridge Communities at (630) 545-0610, ext. 12 to request a copy to be mailed to you.
A One Night survey conducted on January 28, 2015 indicated that 642 persons in DuPage County were homeless that night. This includes 131 family units.