Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- Thanks for joining us at the Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ!
- Sep 12, 2016
- This year, summer didn’t end on Labor Day! The Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ returned for its 8th year on Saturday, September 10. Thousands of community members joined us for the “ProteinPalooza,” a day of food, family-friendly activities, concerts and of course, barbecue! Attendees enjoyed the sounds of outstanding bands, including The Neverly Brothers, Expo 76 […]
- We’re proud to announce our scholarship recipients!
- Aug 31, 2016
- We are so happy to introduce you to two outstanding Bridge kids, Daniela and Ryan. As teenagers, they faced all the same challenges as their peers–but they had to deal with the unique struggles of homelessness, too. It wasn’t easy. It was something no teenager should ever have to worry about. But, once […]
- How your car donation could save a family like Christina’s
- Aug 12, 2016
- A reliable car is a necessity for most families in DuPage County. That’s how we get to work, our children’s schools, the grocery store–almost everywhere. And Bridge families like Christina’s have the same needs. But, there’s one key difference. For most of us, a car in need of repairs might be a hassle, or an […]
- We need YOU! Volunteer at the Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ on September 10
- Aug 3, 2016
- Enjoy the best end-of-summer party in town from behind the scenes and volunteer at the Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ! By volunteering for a 3.5-hour shift, you will be directly helping Bridge Communities save homeless families in the community. All proceeds from the event go toward the 130+ homeless families served by Bridge Communities, and we need […]
- Sleep Out Saturday 2016: #HomelessNoMore
- Jul 6, 2016
- On November 5, YOU can help us transform a moment of kindness into a movement. Bridge Communities invites you to join thousands of fellow community members in Sleep Out Saturday: the movement that’s transforming lives for homeless families in our neighborhoods. Help us make #HomelessNoMore a reality for the 100+ homeless families that have found […]
- “My whole life changed for the better.” Bridge client Tony shares his story!
- Jun 16, 2016
- Prior to 2012, Tony enjoyed joint custody of his four children; he had a steady job as a lead painter for a painting company; and he had a nice house in the northwest suburbs with his girlfriend. Then, life changed dramatically. He was awarded full custody of his children once it was discovered that they had been neglected in an abusive home. […]
- Third Annual “A Chair Affair” Celebrates Art, Homes & Hope
- Jun 14, 2016
- On June 9, more than 200 friends of Bridge Communities celebrated art, homes and hope at the third annual cocktail gala & auction, A Chair Affair. This high-energy event brought together artists, retailers, volunteers, community members and more, to unite for an evening in honor of the 130+ homeless families served by Bridge Communities each […]
- Take a seat! The artwork for A Chair Affair has come to Naperville
- May 23, 2016
- The 20 outstanding chairs featured in A Chair Affair are on display at retail locations across Downtown Naperville. Please help support Bridge Communities and take a moment to view and vote for your favorite of these fun, whimsical, funky and avant-garde chairs! Buy your tickets now to join us June 9 at Wentz Hall in Naperville and enjoy an […]
- Picture the impact you’ll make when you give to the next Bridge family
- May 11, 2016
- At Bridge Communities, we’re proud of every goal that’s reached by each Bridge family. You’ve joined them along their journey and helped them achieve so much, and we’re delighted to share their successes with you. Take Kathy and her girls–after finding a safe haven in a Bridge home, they’ve been able to rebuild their lives, […]
- Thank you for Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives with Bridge!
- Apr 25, 2016
- On April 22, more than 300 supporters of Bridge families attended an unforgettable Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives Spring Luncheon at Danada House. Together, we celebrated our shared commitment to the betterment of women and children in our community, and notably, our two outstanding honorees: The Hinsdale Junior Woman’s Club, with the Transforming Lives Award; and, Bridge graduate […]