Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- Will you give the gift of safe housing on #GivingTuesday?
- Nov 30, 2015
- It’s officially the holiday season–will you continue to celebrate the spirit of the season with Bridge Communities on #GivingTuesday tomorrow, December 1? Just $35 is enough to provide a homeless family with safe housing for one night. If you are able, please pay it forward and Give a Tuesday on #GivingTuesday. By making a gift, […]
- Give a Tuesday on #GivingTuesday
- Nov 10, 2015
- November’s busy–we know it. On Thanksgiving, we celebrate family and togetherness. On Black Friday, we shop the doorbuster sales. On Small Business Saturday, we shop local. On Cyber Monday, we hunt for online deals. But on December 1, otherwise known as #GivingTuesday, we ask you to consider those most in need, and Give a Tuesday: […]
- #SleepOutSaturday 2015 Recap: You Made THIS The Day!
- Nov 9, 2015
- This past Saturday, November 7, 50 groups comprising nearly 2,000 people decided that THIS is the day to help homeless families in DuPage County. All of these concerned and caring citizens joined Bridge Communities in the 12th Annual Sleep Out Saturday, and the experience was unforgettable. The evening started with the first-ever Rock Out for […]
- When you donate your used to car to Bridge, you save families like Steve’s
- Oct 23, 2015
- Once Steve and his boys entered the Bridge Communities transitional housing program, they still had one major problem to overcome. It wasn’t budgeting. It wasn’t housing. It was their car. It leaked oil, had broken down twice in the past month, and Steve could never be sure if it would start in the morning. […]
- Sleep Out Saturday Sneak Preview: Meet Jeanette
- Oct 20, 2015
- Almost two years ago, Jeanette and her son Jaden came into the Bridge program when their world had just fallen apart. “I was engaged to a man that I loved, that was the father of my child. And we bought a house together, we were happy—at least, I thought we were. But he cheated on me […]
- The Story of Jax, Part 2: A Happy Reunion
- Sep 29, 2015
- You may remember last fall, when we shared the story of Jax, the beloved border collie mix belonging to Lisa and her children, a Bridge family. While in Bridge, Jax couldn’t live in the apartment with them, so an outstanding volunteer named Karen stepped up to the plate and volunteered to foster Jax for the […]
- Sleep Out Saturday: What You Need to Know for 2015!
- Sep 23, 2015
- It’s cold. It’s uncomfortable. It’s not easy. And every year, we are so glad we did it. Experience for yourself how Sleep Out Saturday provides the opportunity for you and your loved ones to deepen your appreciation and understanding of the hardships faced by homeless families as they enter Bridge Communities. Become vulnerable and uncomfortable […]
- Ready, Set, Go! Run the Naperville Half Marathon or Marathon in Honor of Bridge Families
- Sep 16, 2015
- Ready to run? Bridge Communities is a Partner Charity for the Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon on November 8! This means you can sign up to run and fundraise on behalf of the homeless families served by Bridge Communities, and you can make a true difference in their lives. You will be a hero for a Bridge family! To […]
- Thank you for transforming Simone’s future!
- Sep 8, 2015
- We are thrilled to share this good news with you: Simone, the teenage daughter in a Bridge Communities family, graduated from high school with over a 4.0 GPA this past spring, and was accepted into Elmhurst College. Simone has always been a hard worker: She maintained stellar grades in high school while working part-time, volunteering […]
- Feel-Good Fridays with Bridge
- Sep 4, 2015
- Who loves a good success story? We do! And because of your generosity and support, Bridge families achieve success professionally and personally day after day. We’ve started sharing one Bridge client’s recent success every on Facebook with our “Feel-Good Friday” tidbits. Here are just a few of the latest ones: -Bridge client J just received word that […]