Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- Garden Walk returns on June 20
- May 18, 2015
- Spring into summer with the Glen Ellyn Garden Walk! Enjoy a self-guided tour of some of the most beautiful gardens in town. Tickets are $25 (advance) / $30 (door) and includes entrance into six private gardens and one bonus Park District garden, self-guided tour map, Master Gardeners on-hand from University of Illinois extension, raffle opportunities […]
- A Chair Affair Returns to Naperville!
- Apr 30, 2015
- Don’t miss one of the most unique parties of the year and your opportunity to find one-of-a-kind artwork for your home! Back for its second year, Bridge Communities combines artistic talent with a great cause to present A Chair Affair in the Naperville community this spring. From May 21-June 11, the 30 chairs, stools and […]
- Thank you, Soup & Bread Glen Ellyn!
- Apr 21, 2015
- On Saturday, April 18, the first Soup & Bread Glen Ellyn event was held at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church to benefit the families served by Bridge Communities. We would like to send a warm and huge thank you to the following people for this wonderful event: -Organizer Extraordinaire: Mary Elizabeth Lane -St. Mark’s Episcopal Church […]
- Thank you for volunteering with Bridge!
- Apr 14, 2015
- It’s National Volunteer Week, and there’s no better time to celebrate service, and celebrate those who have built and bolstered Bridge Communities: amazing volunteers like you. Bridge was founded by volunteers, volunteers grew the ministry to a point where it was a viable organization, and today, volunteers like you are the heartbeat of Bridge Communities. […]
- Our 2015 Honorees: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives
- Mar 23, 2015
- This year, two very special DuPage County women will be honored on Friday, April 24 at the Bridge Communities Spring Luncheon: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives, and we wanted to share a little bit about them with you: With a passion for helping people identify their strengths and the types of environments that capitalize on these […]
- From Homelessness to Hope: Bridge Communities 2014 Annual Report
- Mar 19, 2015
- In the past 26 years, you’ve helped save more than 600 local families from homelessness. You’ve stepped up as part of our Bridge family year after year, and for that, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Our clients can’t always thank each of you in person, so we’re passing along their stories […]
- Get on the run! Bridge Communities partners with Naperville Marathon
- Feb 26, 2015
- Bridge Communities has signed on as a Participating Charity for the Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon, slated for November 8, 2015! This means that this year, runners can sign up to run and fundraise on behalf of the homeless families served by Bridge Communities. Even better–participating runners receive a code for a $20 discount for agreeing to […]
- Why the CCAP $300 million shortfall is a crisis–and how you can help
- Feb 5, 2015
- Illinois is facing a budget shortfall, and as a result, the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) is underfunded by $300 million. Due to this, many daycares and childcare providers may be asking families–including Bridge clients–to pay more for daycare until the state budget is repaired to include this funding. Please click here to read more […]
- Save the Date: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives on April 24
- Feb 3, 2015
- On Friday, April 24, 2015, we will honor two outstanding women in our community: client graduate Ann Marie Andexler; and community advocate and Career Vision executive director Peg Hendershot. Please join us as we hear their inspirational stories and learn of their dedication to helping people in need. Tickets are now available! Click here to purchase […]
- Our Hero: Kristin Tauchen, Bridge supporter and LRC volunteer
- Jan 27, 2015
- While Kristin Tauchen and her family lived in Minnesota for the past decade, they were active volunteers at an organization that provided transitional housing for the area’s homeless population. So, when they moved back to the western suburbs, they knew they eventually wanted to get involved in a similar organization. “We were getting settled back in […]