Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- We couldn’t have done it without you!
- Jan 23, 2015
- We called, and you answered–because of your generous donations, we exceeded our $150,000 goal, and six new Bridge families will have a roof over their heads this month. Thank you! Friends like you are the reason that 108 homeless families thrived in Bridge’s transitional housing program in 2014, and even more will transition from homelessness […]
- Help us “Share” the love with MoonShare!
- Jan 6, 2015
- Bridge Communities is going into the new year with a goal to “share” the love via a MoonShare grant, as we’ve been selected as one of 50 potential organizations poised to receive a $5,000 grant from Sugarlands Distilling Co. Will you help us? Earlier this fall, Sugarlands Distilling Company launched a nationwide grant-giving campaign aiming […]
- A Happy Holiday for Bridge Families
- Dec 12, 2014
- Bridge Communities’ families kicked off their holiday season with a great start at the annual Holiday Party at DuPage Children’s Museum last week. With the museum closed to the public, the kids got to enjoy the space all to themselves, along with fun holiday activities: -Arts and crafts -Santa’s Closet, where kids got to choose presents […]
- Gifts with a Purpose: Holidays 2014
- Dec 9, 2014
- This holiday season, you can make an impact on the lives of homeless families just by where you choose to shop. There are two easy ways to support Bridge Communities families: The Scarf Market, String Theory Yarn Company: Nestled in downtown Glen Ellyn, String Theory Yarn Company sells yarn, knitting and crochet supplies and more. The […]
- Our Heroes: Alecia and Aidan
- Dec 1, 2014
- Alecia was in crisis when her fiancé walked out for good. “We were about to buy a townhouse, but the deal fell through,” she tearfully remembers. “He told us he was going to take the dog for a walk…and he never came back.” She and her son were about to become homeless. With nowhere to go, she went to […]
- You are a True Bridge Communities Hero
- Nov 21, 2014
- This year, Bridge Communities has been all about honoring our heroes. We’ve highlighted many heroes – clients, volunteers, mentors, community partners – in our Annual Report. We’ve featured many of them right here in the Bridge Communities blog, on Facebook and Twitter, and in our letters to you. And today, we want to thank the heroes behind-the-scenes: […]
- In Heartwarming News from Bridge: The Story of Jax
- Nov 14, 2014
- When Lisa and her family were accepted into the Bridge Communities transitional housing program in June 2013, they were thrilled, excited and relieved to have a home again. However, in the midst of all their joy, there was one not-so-small detail they couldn’t overlook: their beloved border collie mix, Jax. “He is our family too,” […]
- Thank YOU for making SOS 2014 a success!
- Nov 3, 2014
- They came, they saw the thermometer, and they slept outside anyway. Thanks to nearly 2,000 Sleep Out Saturday participants and committed friends of Bridge Communities, more than 110 homeless families will have a better, brighter future. The night kicked off with a fun-filled, energizing rally in the Bridge Communities parking lot in downtown Glen Ellyn. More […]
- You’re keeping Kelly on the road to success
- Oct 27, 2014
- Our client, Kelly was recently in a car accident; trapped in a patch of bad weather, her car flipped over into an embankment. Thankfully, she and her young son were unhurt, but her car was totaled. Because of your support of our automobile program, we were able to tune up a car donated to Bridge Communities, and provide […]
- Our Heroes: Debbie Anderson and Bridge teens taking on the ACT
- Oct 20, 2014
- Debbie Anderson was a retired high school teacher, looking for a way to get involved with the community, when her neighbor, Jan, let her know about Bridge Communities. Jan, a longtime volunteer for Bridge’s program partner Families Helping Families, told her about the teens served by Bridge, and Debbie knew just the way she could help. […]