Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- Get on the run! Bridge Communities partners with Naperville Marathon
- Feb 26, 2015
- Bridge Communities has signed on as a Participating Charity for the Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon, slated for November 8, 2015! This means that this year, runners can sign up to run and fundraise on behalf of the homeless families served by Bridge Communities. Even better–participating runners receive a code for a $20 discount for agreeing to […]
- Why the CCAP $300 million shortfall is a crisis–and how you can help
- Feb 5, 2015
- Illinois is facing a budget shortfall, and as a result, the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) is underfunded by $300 million. Due to this, many daycares and childcare providers may be asking families–including Bridge clients–to pay more for daycare until the state budget is repaired to include this funding. Please click here to read more […]
- Save the Date: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives on April 24
- Feb 3, 2015
- On Friday, April 24, 2015, we will honor two outstanding women in our community: client graduate Ann Marie Andexler; and community advocate and Career Vision executive director Peg Hendershot. Please join us as we hear their inspirational stories and learn of their dedication to helping people in need. Tickets are now available! Click here to purchase […]
- Our Hero: Kristin Tauchen, Bridge supporter and LRC volunteer
- Jan 27, 2015
- While Kristin Tauchen and her family lived in Minnesota for the past decade, they were active volunteers at an organization that provided transitional housing for the area’s homeless population. So, when they moved back to the western suburbs, they knew they eventually wanted to get involved in a similar organization. “We were getting settled back in […]
- We couldn’t have done it without you!
- Jan 23, 2015
- We called, and you answered–because of your generous donations, we exceeded our $150,000 goal, and six new Bridge families will have a roof over their heads this month. Thank you! Friends like you are the reason that 108 homeless families thrived in Bridge’s transitional housing program in 2014, and even more will transition from homelessness […]
- Help us “Share” the love with MoonShare!
- Jan 6, 2015
- Bridge Communities is going into the new year with a goal to “share” the love via a MoonShare grant, as we’ve been selected as one of 50 potential organizations poised to receive a $5,000 grant from Sugarlands Distilling Co. Will you help us? Earlier this fall, Sugarlands Distilling Company launched a nationwide grant-giving campaign aiming […]
- A Happy Holiday for Bridge Families
- Dec 12, 2014
- Bridge Communities’ families kicked off their holiday season with a great start at the annual Holiday Party at DuPage Children’s Museum last week. With the museum closed to the public, the kids got to enjoy the space all to themselves, along with fun holiday activities: -Arts and crafts -Santa’s Closet, where kids got to choose presents […]
- Gifts with a Purpose: Holidays 2014
- Dec 9, 2014
- This holiday season, you can make an impact on the lives of homeless families just by where you choose to shop. There are two easy ways to support Bridge Communities families: The Scarf Market, String Theory Yarn Company: Nestled in downtown Glen Ellyn, String Theory Yarn Company sells yarn, knitting and crochet supplies and more. The […]
- Our Heroes: Alecia and Aidan
- Dec 1, 2014
- Alecia was in crisis when her fiancé walked out for good. “We were about to buy a townhouse, but the deal fell through,” she tearfully remembers. “He told us he was going to take the dog for a walk…and he never came back.” She and her son were about to become homeless. With nowhere to go, she went to […]
- You are a True Bridge Communities Hero
- Nov 21, 2014
- This year, Bridge Communities has been all about honoring our heroes. We’ve highlighted many heroes – clients, volunteers, mentors, community partners – in our Annual Report. We’ve featured many of them right here in the Bridge Communities blog, on Facebook and Twitter, and in our letters to you. And today, we want to thank the heroes behind-the-scenes: […]