Bridge Communities Blog
Keep up-to-date with information about Bridge Communities and surrounding issues of homelessness and affordable housing issues in DuPage County, across Illinois and the nation. Sign up to automatically receive updates through the RSS feed.
We welcome all feedback about the stories you read and will do our best to personally respond to your comments.
Thank you for your interest in Bridge Communities and helping homeless families move towards long-term security and self sufficiency.
- Our 2015 Honorees: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives
- Mar 23, 2015
- This year, two very special DuPage County women will be honored on Friday, April 24 at the Bridge Communities Spring Luncheon: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives, and we wanted to share a little bit about them with you: With a passion for helping people identify their strengths and the types of environments that capitalize on these […]
- From Homelessness to Hope: Bridge Communities 2014 Annual Report
- Mar 19, 2015
- In the past 26 years, you’ve helped save more than 600 local families from homelessness. You’ve stepped up as part of our Bridge family year after year, and for that, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Our clients can’t always thank each of you in person, so we’re passing along their stories […]
- Get on the run! Bridge Communities partners with Naperville Marathon
- Feb 26, 2015
- Bridge Communities has signed on as a Participating Charity for the Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon, slated for November 8, 2015! This means that this year, runners can sign up to run and fundraise on behalf of the homeless families served by Bridge Communities. Even better–participating runners receive a code for a $20 discount for agreeing to […]
- Why the CCAP $300 million shortfall is a crisis–and how you can help
- Feb 5, 2015
- Illinois is facing a budget shortfall, and as a result, the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) is underfunded by $300 million. Due to this, many daycares and childcare providers may be asking families–including Bridge clients–to pay more for daycare until the state budget is repaired to include this funding. Please click here to read more […]
- Save the Date: Celebrating Women, Transforming Lives on April 24
- Feb 3, 2015
- On Friday, April 24, 2015, we will honor two outstanding women in our community: client graduate Ann Marie Andexler; and community advocate and Career Vision executive director Peg Hendershot. Please join us as we hear their inspirational stories and learn of their dedication to helping people in need. Tickets are now available! Click here to purchase […]
- Our Hero: Kristin Tauchen, Bridge supporter and LRC volunteer
- Jan 27, 2015
- While Kristin Tauchen and her family lived in Minnesota for the past decade, they were active volunteers at an organization that provided transitional housing for the area’s homeless population. So, when they moved back to the western suburbs, they knew they eventually wanted to get involved in a similar organization. “We were getting settled back in […]
- We couldn’t have done it without you!
- Jan 23, 2015
- We called, and you answered–because of your generous donations, we exceeded our $150,000 goal, and six new Bridge families will have a roof over their heads this month. Thank you! Friends like you are the reason that 108 homeless families thrived in Bridge’s transitional housing program in 2014, and even more will transition from homelessness […]
- Help us “Share” the love with MoonShare!
- Jan 6, 2015
- Bridge Communities is going into the new year with a goal to “share” the love via a MoonShare grant, as we’ve been selected as one of 50 potential organizations poised to receive a $5,000 grant from Sugarlands Distilling Co. Will you help us? Earlier this fall, Sugarlands Distilling Company launched a nationwide grant-giving campaign aiming […]
- A Happy Holiday for Bridge Families
- Dec 12, 2014
- Bridge Communities’ families kicked off their holiday season with a great start at the annual Holiday Party at DuPage Children’s Museum last week. With the museum closed to the public, the kids got to enjoy the space all to themselves, along with fun holiday activities: -Arts and crafts -Santa’s Closet, where kids got to choose presents […]
- Gifts with a Purpose: Holidays 2014
- Dec 9, 2014
- This holiday season, you can make an impact on the lives of homeless families just by where you choose to shop. There are two easy ways to support Bridge Communities families: The Scarf Market, String Theory Yarn Company: Nestled in downtown Glen Ellyn, String Theory Yarn Company sells yarn, knitting and crochet supplies and more. The […]